Saturday 20 August 2011

Scooters, smart suits, Ben Sherman shirts and things of that ilk














Ah, those were the days, apparently.

When it comes to sartorial elegance, I must confess to be rather drawn to the Italianate/Ivy-League "preppy" hybrid look of the United Kingdom's early 1960's "Modernist" movement; everything about said lifestyle (apart from, perhaps, the rather poor-quality amphetamine sulphate) appeals to me immensely. I shuffled onto this mortal coil whilst The Four Tops occupied the top spot in the UK's hit parade with their seminal work "(Reach Out) I'll Be There", at a time when the adherents of said scene in the South of the country were turning to psychedelics or shaving their heads and wearing "Harrington" jackets (depending upon which end of the socio-economic spectrum they occupied), whilst those in the North were becoming yet more esoteric in their tastes in the "rhythm & blues" which they listened to, the genesis of the genre we now know as "Northern Soul". Or shaving their heads and wearing Crombies ("white or red rose, sir?").

Obviously I was unable to participate in any of this shenanigans in nappies; and these days I am somewhat too corpulent to look good in the modernist wardrobe, scooter riding in my area is fraught with danger around every corner, and I should be likely to keel over with a massive cardiac infarction at the merest sniff of "Billy".

Which leaves only the music. I was always considered something of an "odd man out" in my tastes in my teens and twenties, which makes it all the more gratifying that the genre is so highly regarded these days. So, if you shall permit me an impertinence, I should like to occasionally share some of the nuggets which I discovered in my youth, and which I still enjoy all these years later.

Beginning with this one...


Are others acquainted with this track?

No comments:

Post a Comment